Saturday 13 May 2017

Harry Styles' Promo

Yesterday, Harry gave a lot of interviews promoting his debut album. Some of them live on the radio, some prerecorded. Harry appeared on the BBC Radio One Breakfast Show and talked to his friend Nick Grimshaw.
 Harry was wearing a Vivienne Westwood suit in red and cream, and Nick roasted him:
"I like the suit, by the way. Did you make it out of tea towels?"


Harry played his new songs and they had a chat on what inspired them, how they were created,etc.


Harry on "Kiwi":
"This kind of started out as a joke and now it's one of my favourite songs"
Harry on "Carolina" and who the girl is:
“So the person who [Carolina] is about found out - I found out about how they found out that it was on there. Their dad watches the Today Show and he like left her a voicemail saying ‘Uh, I think he just sang a song about you on the TV’
Harry on "Two Ghosts":
 “I think some things are, just more like personal notes and they don’t feel like- I don’t know, sometimes if it’s a personal song, you don’t want anyone else to sing it. So, yeah. I don’t really know. I kind of subconsciously held onto it, I guess. It lived in my emails, and now it is born.”
And his reaction when Nick insisted the song is about Taylor Swift:


Harry on his first stage dive:
“doesn’t feel as cool as you think it does…it didn’t fail…(Nick: NME said it did) of course they did…I’ve never done it before and I was encouraged and I got the thumbs up from the powers that be and it worked for a second and then it was like a sinkhole”
Here are some pieces from other interviews:
  •  Harry on One Direction:
“The thing that [One Direction] shared was a beautiful thing, but it was better to take a break than until we were all worn out. Taking a break has been good as a band and as individuals. Nobody can exclude anything for the future but right now we enjoy this phase of growth and musical and personal discoveries.” (Corriere)
  • Harry on Simon Cowell: 

Chris Evans: “Do you have anything Simon Cowell gave to you?”
Harry: “errrrrrrmmmm…..anxiety.”
  • Harry on Sweet Creature and whether it is about Louis Tomlinson:

“Oh, is that a thing?” he said, amused by the internet chatter linking his new song Sweet Creature to his 1D bandmate Louis Tomlinson. “Well, whatever it is that it makes one feel. But I think if you listen to the lyrics, you can work out what it’s about.”     :)

The best summary of Harry's interviews by The New York Times:
“On the phone from London this month, he insulated his vagueness with polite deflection and generalities while declaring that his new album was his most open work to date.”

No comments:

Post a Comment