Thursday 6 April 2017

Harry's interview with Nick Grimshaw

The interview will air on 7th April, but some excerpts from it have appeared today.


Harry about his debut album:
"I think if you put out something that you don't stand behind and really love... then if it doesn't go well then you could regret not doing what you wanted to do. Whereas if nothing happens with it, I love it you know so I think that's what you should do."
"In the least weird way possible, it's my favourite album to listen to at the moment... I hope we did a good job but I really like the album so I hope people like it."


"I started the album end of Feb last year for three weeks and had to stop for five months when I went to do a movie. I came back to it in July and finished writing it in December."


Harry on taking a break for "Dunkirk":
"For a while before, all I thought about it was stressing about what it was going to be. It gave me a chance to completely step away from it for a bit and have a real break. By the end of the movie, because we were swimming so much, I just wanted to write songs."
" I think we wrote about 70 songs. We did 50 songs and ideas in Jamaica and that's including like little ideas... full songs, I say there are 30 songs probably."


Harry talking about "Sign of the Times":
"It's a bit weird, I feel like I've been hibernating for so long now and you hear it in the safety of the studio and now it's time to give birth... it's the song I'm most proud of writing."


Styles said his debut went down well in the Styles' household - but that his step-father confused his voice for a duck. He said: "I played the album to them the first time and there's one song that's got a vocal effect on it, the whole album finished then my stepdad said: "I've one question, where did you get the duck from, how did you get a duck in the studio?" I was like: "That was me, thanks." My Mum liked it, which was handy."

Harry talking about musical influences:
"I had a good range between my mum and dad... my dad listened to Fleetwood, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd and Queen. My mum was like Norah Jones and Savage Garden. There are a lot of melodies there."


Harry on staying grounded:
"It's easier in the way that I like to separate stuff from working and being at home with family and stuff. When you separate it, it's easier to see it for what it is. When you let it become everything and that's your whole life, then it's easy to get a bit lost in it. I'm lucky, I have amazing friends and my family's amazing so I think they make it easier to keep the separation between the two, which makes it easier for me."

Harry on cutting his trademark hair:
"I felt naked for a while. I was like yeah, I've gotta shave my hair off. It wasn't a hard decision, it got made into a wig."

Harry on dating:
"I haven't dated in a long time really because I went away to do the movie, then did the album so I haven't in a while. I have a couple of candles left still though."

Gucci

Harry loves Chris Martin:
‘He’s lovely isn’t he? He is good at telling you to take care of yourself. I think he makes sure you are alright and is very zen. I think he is a pretty wonderful man.’

 He also loves Ronnie Wood:
‘Big fan, I love Ronnie Wood – I think I met him at a dinner party a few years ago and went to a couple of Stones shows…I think he is the nicest.’

 Ed Sheeran advised him with his debut album:
‘I played him a few songs after the album was finished. I didn’t see him for a bit because I was away. He didn’t say that he didn’t like any but he did like one song that isn’t on the album. So I did have a bit of a minute of like hmmm no but…’




Harry Styles' latest food shopping:
"I went two days ago. I got some spinach, eggs, OJ, milk, turkey and some brussels sprouts. Hmm what else did I buy...oh some Creme Eggs."

No comments:

Post a Comment